Bowman/Kearney's STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT, THE ESSENTIALS, SIXTH EDITION takes a positive look at state and local government, in a shorter and more streamlined approach than its full-length counterpart (State and Local Government 9781435462687). It clearly and succinctly demonstrates that government can be a force for good in society, while addressing critics simultaneously. Through engaging coverage of current events and an accessible writing style, the text fosters student interest and involvement in state and local politics, policy, and public service. For instructors who prefer a more streamlined text or for those who teach one-semester courses, this new edition of the Essentials version features limited focus on policy, and six fewer chapters than its full-length counterpart.
Table of Contents
1. New Direction for State and Local Government.
2. Federalism and the States.
3. State Constitutions.
4. Citizen Participation and Elections.
5. Political Parties, Interest Groups, and Campaigns.
6. State Legislatures.
8. Public Administration: Budgeting and Service Delivery.
9. The Judiciary.
10. State-Local Relations.
11. Local Government: Structure and Leadership.
12. Taxing and Spending.