INTRODUCTION to EPIDEMIOLOGY: DISTRIBUTION AND DETERMINANTS OF DISEASE gradually immerses students in the science of public health while learning about cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, infectious diseases, and more. The first half of the book focuses on basic concepts in epidemiology, such as its history and integration into public health, disease occurrence, data sources, accuracy, and study design. Delving into high impact diseases and conditions, the second half guides students through the distribution and determinants of disease, including those of developing countries, which provides a global perspective. This first edition text was written for students with no prior knowledge of epidemiology, and includes useful online references, basic math resources, real-world problems, and an optional supplement package for better, faster comprehension!
CourseMate includes an interactive eBook, interactive learning tools, including Quizzes, Flashcards, Videos, and more, as well as Engagement Tracker, which allows instructors to track individual or class progress. (Optional purchase with text – learn more about CourseMate at www.cengage.com/coursemate).
Table of Contents
Part I: METHODS.
1. Introduction to Epidemiology.
2. Fundamentals of Epidemiology.
3. Measuring Disease Occurrence and Exposure.
4. Using Rates and Ratios.
5. Data Sources.
7. Study Designs.
Part II: APPLICATIONS OF EPIDEMIOLOGY TO SPECIFIC DISEASES.
8. Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease.
9. Epidemiology of Cancer.
10. Epidemiology of Diabetes.
11. Reproductive Epidemiology.
12. Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases.
13. Epidemiology of Vaccine Preventable Diseases.
14. Disease Transmission and Outbreak Investigations.
15. The Practice of Epidemiology in Developing Countries.