Introduce your students to the most progressive thinking about organizations today as acclaimed author Richard Daft balances recent, innovative ideas with proven classic theories and effective business practices. Daft’s best-selling ORGANIZATION THEORY AND DESIGN presents a captivating, compelling snapshot of contemporary organizations and the concepts driving their success. Recognized as one of the most systematic, well-organized texts in the market, the 12th edition of ORGANIZATION THEORY AND DESIGN helps current and future managers thoroughly prepare for the challenges they are certain to face in today’s business world. This revision showcases some of today’s most current examples and research alongside time-tested principles. Students see how many of today’s well-known organizations have learned to cope and even thrive amidst a rapidly changing, highly competitive international environment. Featured organizations include BP, Disney/Pixar, Volvo, Barnes & Noble, and Cisco Systems. Organization studies, proven cases, and illustrations provide the insights necessary to better understand modern organizations, while new and proven learning features give your students opportunities to apply concepts and refine their personal business skills and insights.
Table of Contents
PART I: INTRODUCTION TO ORGANIZATIONS.
1. Organizations and Organization Theory.
PART II: ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE AND STRUCTURAL DESIGN.
2. Strategy, Organization Design, and Effectiveness.
3. Fundamentals of Organization Structure.
PART III: OPEN SYSTEM DESIGN ELEMENTS.
4. The External Environment.
5. Interorganizational Relationships.
6. Designing Organizations for the International Environment.
PART IV: INTERNAL DESIGN ELEMENTS.
7. Manufacturing and Service Technologies.
8. Using Information Technology for Control and Coordination.
9. Organization Size, Life Cycle, and Decline.
PART V: MANAGING DYNAMIC PROCESSES.
10. Organizational Culture and Ethical Values.
11. Innovation and Change.
12. Decision-Making Processes.
13. Conflict, Power, and Politics.