Today's nurses face a multitude of legal and ethical dilemmas that fall outside the scope of clinical and medical training. Practical and thought provoking, ETHICS & ISSUES IN CONTEMPORARY NURSING, 4th Edition examines the latest trends, principles, theories, and models in patient care to help nurses make ethically sound decisions in complex and often controversial situations. Acknowledging an ever-expanding global society, compelling examples are presented from national and international headlines that invite readers to explore the cases in light of socio-cultural influences, personal values, and professional ethics. Historical examples demonstrate how to think critically through various problems while upholding moral and professional standards, as well as the law. Key topics include patient advocacy and rights, diversity, medication error prevention, health care information management, portability and accountability, and health care reform. In addition to in-book learning features like analysis problems, review questions, sample forms, and appendices, ETHICS & ISSUES IN CONTEMPORARY NURSING, 4th Edition offers supplemental, interactive tools to challenge students further, and prepare them for morally sound behavior in any health care setting.
Table of Contents
PART I: GUIDES FOR PRINCIPLED BEHAVIOR.
1. Social, Philosophical, and Other Historical Forces Influencing the Development of Nursing.
2. Ethical Theory.
3. Ethical Principles
PART II: DEVELOPING PRINCIPLED BEHAVIOR.
4. Values Clarification.
5. Values Development.
6. Nursing Codes of Ethics, Standards, and Ideals (Old Ch 8--renamed).
7. Ethical Decision Making (Old Chapter 6).
PART III: PRINCIPLED BEHAVIOR IN THE PROFESSIONAL DOMAIN.
8. Legal Issues (Old Chapter 7).
9. Professional Relationship Issues.
10. Practice Issues Related to Technology.
11. Practice Issues Related to Patient Self-Determination.
12. Scholarship Issues.
PART IV: GLOBAL ISSUES THAT IMPINGE ON NURSING PRACTICE.
13. Global Consciousness in the 21st Century.
14. Health Policy Issues.
15. Economic Issues.
16. Social Issues.
17. Gender Issues.
18. Transcultural and Spiritual Issues.
PART V: THE POWER TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
19. Empowerment for Nurses.
20. Enabling Patient Empowerment.