Over a million students have transformed adequate work into academic achievement with this best-selling text. HOW TO STUDY IN COLLEGE sets students on the path to success by helping them build a strong foundation of study skills, and learn how to gain, retain, and explain information. Based on widely tested educational and learning theories, HOW TO STUDY IN COLLEGE teaches study techniques such as visual thinking, active listening, concentration, note taking, and test taking, while also incorporating material on vocabulary building. Questions in the Margin, based on the Cornell Note Taking System, places key questions about content in the margins of the text to provide students with a means for reviewing and reciting the main ideas. Students then use this technique--the Q-System--to formulate their own questions. The Eleventh Edition maintains the straightforward and traditional academic format that has made HOW TO STUDY IN COLLEGE the leading study skills text in the market.
Table of Contents
1. Set Clear Goals and Stay on Track.
2. Organization: Use Your Time and Space Effectively.
3. Resiliency: Learn How to Manage Stress.
4. Vocabulary: Bolster the Basis of Complex Thinking.
5. Reading: Extract the Essence from Every Text.
6. Listening: Strengthen the Unsung Key to Communication.
7. Critical Thinking: Use Questions to Zero In on Valuable Information.
8. Flexible Thinking: Learn Through Multiple Channels.
9. Remembering: Fight Back Against Forgetting.
10. The Cornell System: Take Effective Notes.
11. Mastery: Turn Your Notes into Knowledge.
12. Tests and Quizzes: Ace Your Exams.
13. Class Participation: Get the Most out of Discussions.
14. Written Assignments: Turn in a Solid Research Paper.