Written by internationally acclaimed artist and photographer Christopher James, THE BOOK OF ALTERNATIVE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROCESSES: 3rd Edition is the definitive text for students and professionals studying alternative photographic processes and the art of hand-made photographic image making. This innovative Third Edition brings the medium up to date with new and historic processes that are integrated with the latest contemporary innovations, adaptations, techniques, and art work. This 800 page edition is packed with more than 700 exquisite illustrations featuring historical examples as well as the art that is currently being made by professional alternative process, artists, teachers, and students of the genre. The third edition is the complete and comprehensive technical and aesthetic resource exploring and delving into every aspect of alternative photographic process photography. Each chapter introduces the history of a technique, presents an overview of the alternative photographic process that will be featured, reviews its chemistry, and provides practical and easy to follow guidance in how to make it work. In his conversational writing style, James also explores the idiosyncrasies, history, and cultural connections that are such a significant part of the history of photography. Featuring traditional and digital contact negative production as well as an array of processes, spread out over 28 chapters, THE BOOK OF ALTERNATIVE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROCESSES: 3RD EDITION delivers clear instructions, practical workflows and advice, humor, history, art, and immeasurable inspiration.
Table of Contents
1. Making Art With a Box of Air: The Pinhole & Camera Obscura.
2.The Anthotype and Chlorophyll Process: The Art of Printing With Flowers and Vegetation.
3. The Calotype Process and The Art of Fixing Shadows.
4. Bayard's Direct Positive Process - 1839.
5. The Salted Paper Process.
6. The Whey Process.
7. The Cyanotype Process.
8. The Cyanotype: Variations & Inventions.
9. The Argyrotype Process.
10. The Chrysotype.
11. Fumed Silica/Alumina.
12. The Kallitype Process.
13. The Platinum & Palladium Process.
14. The Ziatype Process.
15. The Athenatype Process.
16. The Albumen Process.
17. Wet Plate Collodion Process: Tintypes, Ambrotypes & Glass Plate Negatives.
18. The Gum Bichromate Process.
19. Dichromate Options: The Chromatype, 3-D Gum, Alternative Surfaces for Gum, The Dusting-On Process.
21. The Van Dyke, B-V-D & Brownprint.
22. POP: Printing Out Paper and Toners.
23. Hand Applied Emulsions and Contemporary Dry Plate.
24. The Non-Digital Negative: Alternative Process Options.
25. The Digital Chapter: An Odd History, The Digital Arts - A Personal Perspective, Workflow and Curves.
26. Inkjet Intaglio: Direct to Plate Photopolymer Process.
27. Paper and Alternative Substrates: History & Preparation.
28. Light Markings: Thinking While Writing and Alternative Odds and Ends.
B. Conversion Tables.
C. Light & Exposure Options.
D. A Simple UV Exposure Unit.
E. An Alternative Process Work Space.
F. Alternative Process Shopping List.
G. Resources, Artist's Links, and Internet Sites.
H. Bibliography: Historical and Contemporary.