Author Karen Kirst-Ashman provides students with a comprehensive overview of human behavior in macro settings. The detailed text encourages students to think critically about how macro systems affect human behavior and ultimately, the practice of social work.
The updated text focuses on empowerment -- building on the strength of communities, organizations, and groups to promote change. Kirst-Ashman's new edition offers an greater coverage on social work cases in rural areas, feminist theory, the dynamics of gender-based power in organizations, and expanded discussion of spirituality in macro social work.
HUMAN BEHAVIOR IN THE MACRO SOCIAL ENVIRONMENT: AN EMPOWERMENT APPROACH TO UNDERSTANDING COMMUNITIES, ORGANIZATIONS, AND GROUPS helps students learn how to promote positive change by building upon the strengths of macro systems—taking you straight to the heart of what social work is all about.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Human Behavior in the Macro Social Environment.
2. Values and Principles That Guide Generalist Practice in the Macro Social Environment.
3. Human Behavior in Groups: Theories and Dynamics.
4. Types of Groups in the Macro Social Environment.
5. Knowledge and Theories About Organizations.
6. Social Service Organizational Settings, Goals, and Environmental Contexts.
7. Organizational Structures and Dynamics.
8. Human Behavior, Management, and Empowerment in Organizations.
9. Communities in the Macro Social Environment: Theories and Concepts.
10. Assessment of Geographic Communities and Empowerment.
11. Neighborhood Empowerment.
12. Diversity, Populations-At-Risk, and Empowerment in the Macro Social Environment.
13. Social Justice and the Global Community.