Introduce your students to the latest advances in spectroscopy with the text that has set the unrivaled standard for more than 30 years: Pavia/Lampman/Kriz/Vyvyan's INTRODUCTION TO SPECTROSCOPY, 4e. Whether you use this comprehensive resource as the primary text in an upper-level spectroscopy course or as a companion book with an organic chemistry text, your students receive an unmatched systematic introduction to spectra and basic theoretical concepts in spectroscopic methods.
This well-rounded introduction to spectroscopy features updated spectra; a modernized presentation of one-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy; the introduction of biological molecules in mass spectrometry; and inclusion of modern techniques alongside DEPT, COSY, and HECTOR.
Table of Contents
1. Molecular Formulas and What Can Be Learned From Them.
2. Infrared Spectroscopy.
3. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part One: Basic Concepts.
4. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part Two: Carbon-13 Spectra, Including Heteronuclear Coupling With Other Nuclei.
5. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part Three: Spin-Spin Coupling.
6. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part Four: Other Topics in One-Dimensional NMR.
7. Ultraviolet Spectroscopy.
8. Mass Spectrometry.
9. Combined Structure Problems.
10. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part Five: Advanced NMR Techniques.
Answers to Selected Problems.
Appendix 1: Infrared Absorption Frequencies of Functional Groups.
Appendix 2: Some Representative Chemical Shift Values for Various Types of Protons.
Appendix 3: Typical Proton Coupling Constants.
Appendix 4: Calculation of Proton (1H) Chemical Shifts.
Appendix 5: Calculation of Carbon-13 Chemical Shifts.
Appendix 6: 13C Coupling Constants.
Appendix 7: Tables of Precise Masses and Isotopic Abundance Ratios for Molecular Ions Under Mass 100 Containing Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Oxygen.
Appendix 8: Common Fragment Ions Under Mass 105.
Appendix 9: Handy-Dandy Guide to Mass Spectral Fragmentation Patterns.
Appendix 10: Index of Spectra.