Hurting the One You Love: Violence in Relationships, 1st Edition
- Irene Hanson Frieze University of Pittsburgh
- ISBN-10: 0534633161 | ISBN-13: 9780534633165
- 304 Pages
- © 2005 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $63.75
A groundbreaking book that has grown out of over 30 years of research, HURTING THE ONE YOU LOVE provides an overview of theory and research on all forms of violence in intimate relationships including violence in dating relationships and marriages, incest, rape and sexual victimization, date rape, stalking, child abuse and sexual harassment. HURTING THE ONE YOU LOVE also explores how violence affects the family and others who are close to the victim, and uses criminal justice data and research as well as the research of psychologists in studying these phenomena. In addition, the text covers rape and violence prevention efforts, as well as educational programs.
1. Aggression in Every Day Life.
2. Understanding Violence and Aggression: The Environment and Learning.
3. Understanding Violence and Aggression: Biological Factors in Aggression and the Aggressive Personality.
4. Reactions to Victimization.
5. Battered Women and Intimate Terrorism.
6. New Perspectives on Violence in Relationships: "Common Couple" Violence.
7. Rape and Sexual Assault.
8. Child Abuse, Incest, and Learning to Be Violent.
9. Summing Up.
Appendix: Case Studies.
"I think the author has done a Herculean job in amassing and organizing the burgeoning research in this area. I feel this is a very important book for current and future scholars. This book is groundbreaking."— Margaret Gittis, Youngstown State University