CHEM delivers exactly what today's students need --and want. Based on student and faculty feedback from nationwide interviews and focus groups, CHEM was developed through a "student-tested, faculty-approved" process. The result is a concise, engaging, and accessible textbook that presents the basic chemical principles faculty require within a framework of relevant, real world applications that liberal arts students can relate to. Delivered at a value price, CHEM accommodates the diverse lifestyles of today's learners, features a modern, open page design, and includes a wide array of print and online learning aids, including chapter-by-chapter study cards, self-quizzes, interactive flash cards, Go Chemistry and Thinkwell mini-video lectures, and online homework available through the OWL learning system.
Table of Contents
1. Living in a World of Chemistry.
2. The Chemical View of Matter.
3. Atoms and the Periodic Table.
4. The Air We Breathe and Some Major Atmospheric Pollutants.
5. Chemical Bonding and States of Matter.
6. Carbon Dioxide and the Greenhouse Effect.
7. Chlorofluorocarbons and the Ozone Layer.
8. Chemical Reactivity: Chemicals in Action.
9. Acid-Base Reactions.
10. Oxidation-Reduction Reactions.
11. Water, Water Everywhere, but Not a Drop to Drink?
12. Energy and Hydrocarbons.
13. Nuclear Changes and Nuclear Power.
14. Organic Chemicals and Polymers.
15. The Chemistry of Life.
16. Nutrition: The Basis of Healthy Living.
17. Chemistry and Medicine.
18. The Chemistry of Useful Materials.
19. Feeding the World.