The Urban Poor of Puerto Rico: A Study in Development and Inequality, 1st Edition
- Safa Icken Helen
- ISBN-10: 0534971911 | ISBN-13: 9780534971915
- 116 Pages
- © 2002 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $55.50 List Price = $ 73.95
A study in the shantytown of the San Juan metropolitan area in Puerto Rico that was built by landless agricultural laborers out of the materials at hand. This is not a study of the culture of poverty, though all the conditions of poverty are evident in the shantytown. Los Peloteros contains and nourishes a variety of lifestyles.
1. Finding a Home: Migration and Its Consequences.
2. Earning a Living: Jobs and Other Sources of Income.
3. Family and Kinship.
4. Community Solidarity and Extracommunity Relationships.
5. Relocation and a Decade of Change.
6. Conclusion: Development, Inequality, and Proletarian Consciousness in Puerto Rico.