Unlike any other resource on the market, AN INTEGRATED APPROACH TO HEALTH SCIENCES, 2E takes an all-in-one approach to preparing your learners for careers in the health care industry. The book identifies the four basic building blocks of Health Sciences: anatomy and physiology, math, chemistry and medical microbiology, and then presents them in the context of health professions. Medical terminology and physics concepts are also covered. Rich illustrations, theory, practical applications, and humorous anecdotes all join together to help learners connect with the material as they learn it, fostering increased retention and comprehension. As a result, learners will gain valuable knowledge while also getting access to an insider look at health careers through the book's professional profiles. Exercises and case studies complement the comprehensive coverage and sharpen critical thinking skills, making this a complete package for instructors aiming to provide a foundational knowledge in the health sciences. And although the textbook can stand alone, it has capabilities for enhancements with a rich array of extra resources that include videos, animations, interactive games, study questions and a workbook with activities.
Table of Contents
Section I: FUNDAMENTALS OF ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY.
1. Medical Terminology: The Language of Medicine.
2. Overview of the Human Body.
3. The Raw Materials: Cells, Tissues, Organs, and Systems.
4. The Integumentary System.
5. The Skeletal System.
6. The Muscular System.
7. The Nervous System.
8. The Endocrine System.
9. The Special Senses.
10. The Respiratory System.
11. The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems.
12. The Gastrointestinal System.
13. The Urinary and Reproductive Systems.
Section II: FUNDAMENTALS OF MATHEMATICS.
14. Basic Mathematical Definitions and Fractions.
15. Decimals, Percents, and Ratios.
16. Exponents, Scientific Notation and The Metric System.
17. An Introduction to Algebra.
18. An Introduction to Equations.
19. More Equation Forms.
20. Statistics and Graphs.
Section III: CHEMISTRY IN THE HEALTH SCIENCES.
21. Energy and States of Matter.
22. Basic Concepts of Chemistry.
23. Bonding and Chemical Formulas.
24. The Gas Laws.
25. Acids and Bases.
27. The Amazing Proteins.
Section IV: MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY.
28. Introduction to Medical Microbiology.
29. Infection Control.