With its easy-to-read approach and focus on core topics, PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY, 2e provides a concise, yet thorough examination of calculus-based physical chemistry. The Second Edition, designed as a learning tool for students who want to learn physical chemistry in a functional and relevant way, follows a traditional organization and now features an increased focus on thermochemistry, as well as new problems, new two-column examples, and a dynamic new four-color design. Written by a dedicated chemical educator and researcher, the text also includes a review of calculus applications as applied to physical chemistry.
Table of Contents
1. Gases and the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics.
2. The First Law of Thermodynamics.
3. The Second and Third Laws of Thermodynamics.
4. Free Energy and Chemical Potential.
5. Introduction to Chemical Equilibrium.
6. Equilibria in Single-Component Systems.
7. Equilibria in Multiple-Component Systems.
8. Electrochemistry and Ionic Solutions.
9. Pre-Quantum Mechanics.
10. Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.
11. Quantum Mechanics: Model Systems and the Hydrogen Atom.
12. Atoms and Molecules.
13. Introduction to Symmetry in Quantum Mechanics.
14. Rotational and Vibrational Spectroscopy.
15. Introduction to Electronic Spectroscopy and Structure.
16. Introduction to Magnetic Spectroscopy.
17. Statistical Thermodynamics: Introduction.
18. More Statistical Thermodynamics.
19. The Kinetic Theory of Gases.
21. The Solid State: Crystals.
Answers to Selected Exercises.