Brief, inviting, inexpensive, and written by a brand-name author, this new book provides an introduction to piano for the adult beginner. Its length, price, and approach make it less intimidating and more accessible to students because no background in music is assumed – just a genuine interest in learning to play the piano.
The book is organized in ten units with reviews at the end of each unit that allow students to check their progress. Answer Keys to the end-of-unit reviews are provided in Appendix E.
This step-by-step text includes nearly double the music of the competition, including a section titled "Extending the Challenge," which offers 14 additional pieces for the student to explore. Nearly all of the musical selections in the text are included on the free practice CD, and many have been recorded at both a practice and performance tempo.
Table of Contents
1. Learning the Keyboard Basic.
2. Reading and Performing Rhythm.
3. Reading and Performing Pitch.
4. Reading from The Grand Staff.
5. Performing Dotted and Tied Notes.
6. Creating Chord Accompaniments to Melodies.
7. Discovering the 12-Bar Blues.
8. Introducing Upbeats and Incomplete Measures.
9. Accompanying Melodies with Two Chords.
10. Playing Major Scales and Chords.
Extending the Challenge.
Appendix A: Selected Musical Terms and Signs.
Appendix B: Rhythm Notation.
Appendix C: Selected Major Scales and Key Signatures.
Appendix D: Selected Primary Chords in "Piano Position."
Appendix E: Answer Key for Unit Reviews.