For over fifty years, UNDERSTANDING THE CONSTITUTION has provided an accessible introduction to the document that defines and limits the powers of the United States and the rights of individuals. Thorough and precise, this textbook walks through, clause by clause, the entire Constitution, including all original articles and all subsequent amendments, and explains what the document says, as well as the key Supreme Court cases that define that part of the law. Updated thoroughly every three years, it includes the most recent developments in constitutional law.
Table of Contents
Part I: HISTORY AND CONTEXT.
1. Constitutional Backgrounds.
2. The Constitution, American Politics, and the Development of American Constitutional Law.
Part II: THE CONSTITUTION OF 1787.
3. The Preamble and Article I: The Legislative Branch.
4. Article II: The Executive Branch.
5. Article III: The Judiciary.
6. Articles IV-VII.
Part III: THE AMENDMENTS.
7. The Bill of Rights I: Protecting Individual Liberties.
8. The Bill of Rights II: Procedural Boundaries.
9. Clarifying and Modifying.
10. The Reconstruction Amendments.
11. The Progressive Era.
12. 1933 to 1992.
Appendix A: The Declaration of Independence.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States of America.