Part I: GETTING STARTED.
2. Countdown for Course Preparation.
3. Meeting a Class for the First Time.
Part II: BASIC SKILLS FOR FACILITATING STUDENT LEARNING.
4. Reading as Active Learning.
5. Facilitating Discussion.
6. How to Make Lectures More Effective.
7. Assessing, Testing, and Evaluating: Grading Is Not the Most Important Function.
8. Testing: The Details.
9. Good Designs for Written Feedback for Students.
10. Assigning Grades: What Do They Mean?
Part III: UNDERSTANDING STUDENTS.
11. Motivation in the College Classroom.
12. Teaching Culturally Diverse Students.
13. Different Students, Different Challenges.
Part IV: ADDING TO YOUR REPERTOIRE OF SKILLS AND STRATEGIES FOR FACILITATING ACTIVE LEARNING.
14. Active Learning: Group-Based Learning.
15. Experiential Learning: Case-Based, Problem-Based, and Reality-Based.
16. Using High-Stakes and Low-Stakes Writing to Enhance Learning.
17. Technology and Teaching.
Part V: SKILLS FOR USE IN OTHER TEACHING SITUATIONS.
18. Teaching Large Classes (You Can Still Get Active Learning!).
19. Laboratory Instruction: Ensuring an Active Learning Experience.
Part VI: TEACHING FOR HIGHER-LEVEL GOALS.
20. Teaching Students How to Become More Strategic and Self-Regulated Learners.
21. Teaching Thinking.
22. The Ethics of Teaching.
Part VII: LIFELONG LEARNING FOR A TEACHER.
23. Vitality and Growth Throughout Your Teaching Career.