Understanding Culture's Influence on Behavior, 2nd Edition
- Richard Brislin University of Hawaii
- ISBN-10: 0155083406 | ISBN-13: 9780155083400
- 496 Pages
- Previous Editions: 1993
- © 2000 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $171.50
Written in a lively, engaging style with many examples to illustrate complex concepts, this text helps readers to understand the influence of intercultural interactions in their own lives. It introduces students to disciplines, including cross-cultural psychology, intercultural communication, and international organizational behavior, that study culture's influence on human behavior. It covers a wide range of topics, such as schooling, work, gender, socialization of children, and health. This solid treatment of basic concepts applicable in the study of all behavior and social sciences lets students see that the study of culture and cultural differences is inherently connected to the other courses they will take throughout their college careers.
1. Conceptualizing Culture and Its Impact.
2. Theoretical Concepts for Understanding Culture.
3. Some Methodological Concerns in Intercultural and Cross-Cultural Research.
5. Formal Educational Experiences.
6. Intergroup Relations: Cultures in Contact.
7. Interacting Successfully with People from other Cultures.
8. Culture's Effects on the Work World.
9. Culture and Gender.
10. Culture and Health.
11. Some Predictions for the Future.