Addressing modern process plant operations in an easy-to-understand format, this comprehensive text reveals the important role technicians play in the function of a business unit. The author thoroughly examines operator responsibilities and functions, from recognizing opportunities that improve process operations, to detecting and removing threats to steady-state operation. The text also systematically explores business fundamentals and the importance of quality, as well as the chemistry and physics of process operations, maintenance duties, material handling, and process troubleshooting techniques. Now thoroughly expanded and updated, the Second Edition of this trusted text includes new chapters on jobs in process technology, environmental compliance, emergency response, and instrumentation. With numerous new and revised tables and photos, as well as additional learning resources to promote Internet research and critical thinking, the text is an even more useful and effective resource for current and future process plant technicians.
Table of Contents
1. Process Technology Today.
2. Jobs in Process Technology.
3. John's Twelve-Hour Shift.
5. Environmental Compliance and Title V.
6. Emergency Response Teams.
7. Process Physics for Operators.
8. Quality for Operators.
9. Economics for Operators.
10. Communication for Operators.
12. Routine Technician Duties.
13. Process Samples and common Analytical Tests.
14. Operator Maintenance Duties.
15. Material Handling of Bulk Liquids.
16. Material Handling of Bulk Solids.
17. Material Handling: Oil Movement and Storage.
18. Process Unit Shutdown.
19. Process Unit Turnaround.
20. Process Unit Startup.
21. Abnormal Situations.
22. Process Troubleshooting.