Living Hinduisms: An Explorer's Guide, 1st Edition
- Nancy Auer Falk Western Michigan University
- ISBN-10: 0534520111 | ISBN-13: 9780534520113
- 300 Pages
- © 2006 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $83.25
Aiming to turn inside-out models currently used for the teaching of Hinduism, Nancy Falk's new LIVING HINDUISMS aims to introduce students to this religion through an illuminating presentation of its lived practices. Recognizing an all-too-frequent disconnect that students of Hinduism feel when confronted with the actual sights and sounds of contemporary Hindu rituals, Nancy Falk brings these experiences to life through an astute and eye-opening exploration of Hinduism's diverse, yet--as she argues--unified traditions.
Part I: HINDUISM OVER TIME: FOUR TEACHING TRADITIONS.
1. The Brahmins.
2. The Sadhus.
3. Bhaktas and Shaktas.
4. The Samajists.
Part II: HINDUISM IN SPACE: HOME, TEMPLE, PILGRIM ROAD.
5. In the Home.
6. At Temples and Temple Festivals.
7. On the Road: Pilgrims and Sadhu Journeys.
Part III: HINDUISMS OF CASTE AND CLASS.
8. Among the Poor and Oppressed.
9. Among the Well-To-Do and Advantaged.
Part IV: HINDUISMS IN THE MAKING.
10. In Ashrams.
11. In Politics.
12. Around the Globe.