PROFESSIONAL CATERING equips readers with the knowledge and tools to start and position a competitive catering business. It addresses industry best practices and emerging trends while taking a practical approach to resources that can be used in implementing business plan. Beautifully illustrated with four-color photography, this easy-to-read text is packed with Tips from the Trade, Ingredients for Success, standard operating procedures, checklists, forms, and hands-on applications designed to develop critical thinking skills. Comprehensive information is provided on each functional catering management task--planning, organizing, influencing, and controlling--helping readers strategically craft a long-term strategy to create a profitable catering operation. It also offers thorough coverage of the business plan, finding and keeping the right client, designing a sustainable operation, resolving conflict, social media, managing risk, understanding legal issues, adhering to FDA and OSHA guidelines, partnering with the event planner to exceed a client's needs, and much more. Bringing catering concepts to life, the available CourseMate Web site provides interactive learning tools and video demonstrating standard operating procedures. PROFESSIONAL CATERING is the ideal resource for managing catering profitability.
Table of Contents
PART I: WHAT IS CATERING?
1. The Catering World: Types of Catering.
2. The Caterer and the Client.
3. Establishing the Right Kind of Catering for You.
4. Choosing Your Client.
5. Social Media Marketing.
PART II: THE CATERING OPERATION.
6. The Seven Functions of Catering.
7. Planning--The Basic Catering Management Function.
8. Operations--Execution of Tasks.
9. Organizing the Event.
10. Catering Equipment.
11. Procuring Catering Equipment.
14. Understanding Risk Management, Insurance and Legal Issues.
PART III: GAINING A COMPETITIVE EDGE.
15. Beverage Management.
16. Conflict Resolution.
17. Sustainable Catering: One Ecological Step at a Time.
18. Human Resource Management of Catering.
Appendix A: Ingredients for Success.
Appendix B: Weights, Measures, and Abbreviations.
Appendix C: Sample Business Plan.