This book is a must-have resource for anyone considering or involved in a program of study in audiology, speech-language pathology, or speech-language-hearing sciences. Written by members of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA) with contributions from a wide range of clinical and academic professionals, this guide is relevant and useful to students who are at any point along the path towards a career in communication sciences and disorders (CSD). This comprehensive guide includes advice for students from the time they are in high school until they graduate with their master's, doctorate, and/or post-doctorate. Providing background on the disciplines, practical advice, and helpful checklists for use during a program of study this resource also includes important information on professional specialty areas, settings, and career options. This survival guide will be an invaluable companion throughout a CSD academic career.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to the Professions.
2. Job Outlook and Salary Expectations.
4. Financing your CSD Education.
5. The Importance of Shared Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Courses.
6. Advice for Parents (NEW).
7. Advice for High School Students.
8. Advice for Freshmen Year.
9. Advice for Sophomore Year.
10. Advice for Junior Year.
11. Advice for Senior Year.
12. Advice for Adults Returning to College to Pursue a CSD Degree.
13. Advice for Students from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Backgrounds.
14. Advice for Students with an Undergraduate Degree in Another Discipline.
15. Advice for Students Studying Abroad (NEW).
16. Transitioning from Undergraduate to Graduate Coursework.
17. Advice for First-year Graduate Students.
18. Advice for Second-Year Graduate Students.
19. Research Basics.
20. Writing a Thesis.
21. Writing for the Clinical Practicum.
22. Advice for the Clinical Practicum (NEW).
23. Doctoral Degrees and Applying to a Doctoral Program.
24. Advice for Students in AUD programs.
25. Advice for Audiology Students in ScD or PhD Programs.
26. Advice for Students in Speech-Language Science PhD Programs.
27. Information about Post Doctorates.
28. Special Interest Divisions (NEW).
29. Resume' and Interview Preparation.
30. Advice for Choosing a Clinical Fellowship in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology.
31. Going to the ASHA Convention.
32. ASHA Certification.
33. Professional Associations in Communication Science (NEW).
Appendix A: Organizational Tools.
Appendix B: Suggested Readings.
Appendix C: Clinical Genres in Writing for the Clinical Practicum.
Appendix D: Clinical Report Revision Guide.
Appendix E: Key Acronyms and Phrases Used in CSD.