FUNDAMENTALS OF ANIMAL SCIENCE is a research-based book that provides your students with balanced and comprehensive information on both companion animals, such as dogs and cats, and production animals such as horses, livestock, poultry and fish. This book provides an introductory overview on such key topics as animal production, rearing and products, and focuses on disciplines such as nutrition, reproduction, genetics and diseases. FUNDAMENTALS OF ANIMAL SCIENCE also includes sections on animal welfare, food safety, and how animals impact the environment. To foster classroom discussion and facilitate learning, this book presents related societal issues and discussion points for review and includes side bar definitions, multiple review questions, and illustrations that will help your students better understand the concepts of animal science.
Table of Contents
SECTION 1 - ANIMALS AND SOCIETY.
2. Origin and development of agriculture
3. Global Overview of Livestock Industry.
4. Careers in Animal Science.
6. Companion Animals. Evaluation and Judging. Poultry. Aquaculture.
SECTION 2. LIVESTOCK PRODUCTION.
7. Cattle Introduction.
9. Sheep and Goats.
10. Alternative Mammalian Livestock.
11. Chickens and other Poultry.
SECTION 3 - BIOLOGY OF DOMESTIC ANIMALS.
13. Cells, Organs and Systems.
14. Animal Nutrition (Feeds and Foods).
15. Animal Genetics and Breeding.
16. Animal Reproduction.
17. Animal Growth and Development.
SECTION 4 – ANIMAL HEALTH, WELFARE, AND THE ENVIRONMENT.
19. Animal Behavior, Animal Welfare and the Enivronment.
20. Animal Diseases.
21. Animal Health, Therapeutics, Immunology and Vaccines.
22. Animal agriculture and the environment.
SECTION 5 - ANIMAL PRODUCTS.
23. Introduction to Animal Products.
24. Food Safety of Animal Products
26. Milk and Dairy Products.
27. Alternative Animal Products.