Fully updated to reflect the latest changes in the field, this new edition provides comprehensive, practical coverage of both law enforcement and the criminal justice system as a whole (including courts, corrections, and juvenile justice) in one convenient volume. Acclaimed for its uniquely accessible writing style, many real-world examples, and its realistic and relevant "boots on the street" perspective, this new edition is packed with up-to-date information on today's hottest topics, including the Towards Zero Death (TZD) traffic-safety initiative, rapid DNA profiling, CompStat Plus, warrantless searches of vehicles, hacktivism, iPads/tablets and geolocation "pinging"communication devices in the field. joint terrorism task forces (JTTFs), and more.
Table of Contents
SECTION I: THE EVOLUTION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE.
1. A Brief History: The Evolution of Law and Our Criminal Justice System.
2. The American Quest for Freedom and Justice: Our Laws.
3. Crime in the United States: Offenses, Offenders, Victims.
SECTION II: CONTEMPORARY LAW ENFORCEMENT.
4. Contemporary Policing: An Overview.
5. Patrol: The Backbone of Policing.
6. Specialized Roles of Police.
7. Policing after 9/11: Traditional, Community and Data-Driven Policing.
SECTION III: CHALLENGES TO THE PROFESSION.
8. Policing within the Law.
9. Gangs and Drugs: Threats to Our National Security.
10. Terrorism and Homeland Security.
11. Issues Concerning Police Conduct.
12. Becoming a Law Enforcement Professional.
SECTION IV: COURTS AND CORRECTIONS: LAW ENFORCEMENT'S PARTNERS IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.
13. U.S. Courts.