The Guitarist's Guide to SONAR, 1st Edition
- Craig Anderton
- ISBN-10: 1435457684 | ISBN-13: 9781435457683
- 250 Pages
- © 2012 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $22.50
As more and more guitarists begin to use amp simulation software, it becomes increasingly important for them to have a tool that will help them to get the most out of it. That tool has arrived in the form of THE GUITARIST'S GUIDE TO SONAR. Designed for guitarists of varying levels of experience with music software, this book covers some of the considerations unique to recording guitar with any computer-based system, and then progresses into guitar-specific techniques for Cakewalk SONAR. The first eight chapters are designed to flow in order, but after that, the book is more of a collection of tools and tips that you can dip into as needed. Are you having problems nailing a solo? Then check out the chapter "Perfect Takes with Composite Recording." Miss the sound of that ancient phase shifter you sold on eBay? Then read "How to Emulate Vintage Effects." Not happy with the sound of amp sims? There are plenty of ways to sweeten their sound, as described in "How to Improve Amp Sim Tone." Think of this book as a reference that can help you solve problems, but also, there's a lot of material intended to inspire you to try new and different techniques and get your creative juices flowing.
1. Recording with a Computer.
2. Interfacing Guitar with Computers.
3. Guitarist's Guide to Audio Interfaces.
4. Setting Preferences in SONAR.
5. Guitar Recording Options with SONAR.
6. Setting Up to Record in SONAR.
7. About Busses.
8. How to Use Plug-In Effects.
9. Series, Parallel, and Series Parallel Effects.
10. Effects Chains 2.0.
11. Creating Virtual Amps and Pedalboards with Track Templates.
12. Re-Amping with SONAR.
13. How to Improve Amp Sim Tone.
14. The Care and Feeding of Plug-Ins.
15. Perfect Takes with Composite Recording.
16. Mixing and Effects Automation.
17. Control Surfaces and the Roland VS-20 Interface for Guitarists.
18. ACT: The Key to Hands-On Control.
19. SONAR's Bundled Plug-Ins: Common Elements
20. SONAR's Equalizers.
21. SONAR's Dynamics Processors.
22. SONAR's Time-Based and Modulation Effects.
23. SONAR's Channel Strips.
24. SONAR's Miscellaneous Effects.
25. Guitar Tablature with SONAR.
26. MIDI Guitar with SONAR.
27. The "Virtual" MIDI Guitar.
28. Novel Rhythmic Effects with Sidechaining.
29. Tuning Out Mic/Direct Differences.
30. How to Emulate Vintage Effects.
31. Multiband Processing.
32. Create a Looper in SONAR.
33. SONAR's Multiband Envelope Follower.
34. Transposing in SONAR X1.
35. Create Drum Backing Tracks with Session Drummer 3.
36. Backing Up.
Appendix A. MIDI Basics.