Now in its third edition, this market-leading resource retains the core strengths that made previous editions so successful, while providing the most up-to-date coverage of the science of conducting dosage calculations using a ratio-proportion approach! With a comprehensive math review, full-color drug labels, and critical thinking assessments, DOSAGE CALCULATIONS: A RATIO-PROPORTION APPROACH, third edition contains all of the trusted tools needed to teach students how to significantly reduce errors and increase their confidence in dosage calculation. The book carefully examines both basic and advanced calculations, including intravenous medications and those specific to the pediatric patient. It has been revised to reflect the most current drugs and protocol, as well as the newest regulations on medication abbreviations, new medication administration technologies, and safe medication practices, all in an effort to make this a solid resource and reference for anyone in, or entering the field.
Table of Contents
SECTION 1: MATHEMATICS REVIEW.
1. Fraction and Decimals.
2. Ratios, Percents, Simple Equations, and Ratio-Proportion.
SECTION 2: MEASUREMENT, SYSTEMS, DRUG ORDERS, AND DRUG LABELS.
3. Systems of Measurement.
4. Conversions: Metric, Apothecary, and Household systems.
5. Conversions for Other Clinical Applications: Time and Temperature.
6. Equipment Used in dosage Measurement.
7. Interpreting Drug Orders.
8. Understanding Drug Labels.
9. Preventing Medication Errors.
SECTION 3: DRUG DOSAGE CALCULATIONS.
10. Oral Dosage of Drugs.
11. Parenteral Dosage of Drugs.
12. Reconstitution of Solutions.
NEW! 13. Alternative Dosage Calculation Methods: Formula and Dimensional Analysis.
14. Pediatric and Adult Dosages Based on Body Weight.
SECTION 4: ADVANCED CALCULATIONS.
15. Intravenous Solutions, Equipment, and Calculations.
16. Body Surface Area and Advanced Pediatric Calculations.
17. Advanced Adult Intravenous Calculations.
Essential Skills Evaluation.
Comprehensive Skills Evaluation.