1. The Cross and the Sword in Spain's New World: Bartolomé de Las Casas and Hernán Cortés.
2. Revolt on the Virginia Frontier: Nathaniel Bacon and William Berkeley.
3. Enthusiasm, Authority, and the Great Awakening: James Davenport and Charles Chauncy.
4. The Price of Patriotism: Jonathan Sewall and John Adams.
5. The Conflict over the Constitution: Patrick Henry and James Madison.
6. Political Conflict in the Early Republic: Benjamin Franklin Bache and Alexander Hamilton
7. Resistance and Western Expansion: Tecumseh and William Henry Harrison.
8. The Fruits of the Factory System: Sarah Bagley and Nathan Appleton.
9. Politics, Morality, and Race in the Abolitionist Crusade: William Lloyd Garrison and Frederick Douglass.
10. The Feminine Sphere in Antebellum Society: Catharine Beecher and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
11. Manifest Destiny and Conquest; Thomas Larkin and Juan Bautista Alvarado.
12. The South and the Slavery Debate: Hinton Rowan Helper and George Fitzhugh.
13. Yankees and "Border Ruffians" in "Bleeding Kansas": Sara Robinson and David Atchison.
14. Mr. Lincoln's War: Clement Vallandigham and Benjamin Wade.
15. Race and Redemption in the Reconstructed South: Robert Smalls and Wade Hampton.