Written by two renowned presidential scholars, this comprehensive, best-selling text examines all aspects of the presidency in rich detail. With a special emphasis on policy, the new edition surveys the most up-to-date scholarship on the topic, and includes an examination of the 2012 presidential election.
Best-selling authors George C. Edwards and Stephen J. Wayne use engaging analysis and timely, fascinating examples to view the presidency from two theoretical standpoints—the president as "facilitator," and the president as "director of change." A theoretical (versus chronological) approach combined with the currency and relevance of the material, makes PRESIDENTIAL LEADERSHIP: POLITICS AND POLICY MAKING, 9th Edition, the most comprehensive text available today for the presidential studies course.
Table of Contents
1. Presidential Leadership: An Introduction.
2. The Nomination Process.
3. The Presidential Election.
4. The President and the Public.
5. The President and the Media.
6. Presidents and their Advisors.
7. Presidential Decision Making.
8. The President and the Executive Branch.
9. The President and Congress.
10. The President and the Judiciary.
11. Domestic Policy Making.
12. Budgetary and Economic Policy Making.
13. Foreign and Defense Policy Making.
Appendix A: Methods for Studying the Presidency.
Appendix B: Non-electoral Succession, Removal and Tenure.
Appendix C: Provisions of the Constitution of the United States that Relate to the Presidency.
Appendix D: 2012 Electoral and Popular Vote Summary.