This is a concise and easily accessible introduction for psychotherapists to the treatment and referral issues that surround commonly prescribed psychiatric drugs. It provides an overview of psychopharmacology as it affects therapists' work with clients who are already using psychiatric medications or who potentially should be.
Table of Contents
1. Psychotherapists and Psychiatric Medicines.
2. How Medications Function in the Body and the Brain: Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics.
3. Depression and Antidepressants; Bipolar Disorder and Lithium.
4. Anxiety and the Anxiolytics; Sleep Disorders and the Hypnotics.
5. Psychosis and the Antipsychotics.
6. Pain and the Analgesics.