Innovative and self-directed, EXPERIMENTS IN GENERAL CHEMISTRYFEATURING MEASURENET, 2nd Edition prepares students for the laboratory setting by asking them multi-component questions, building their knowledge from previous experiments, and incorporating the innovative MeasureNet network data collection system into the manual. MeasureNet improves the laboratory experience by requiring smaller amounts of chemicals for experiments—making the lab safer and more environmentally friendly—and greatly increasing precision through its electronic data collection, analysis, and reduction features.
Table of Contents
Common Laboratory Glassware and Equipment.
1. Densities of Some Liquids and Solids.
2. Specific Heat of Substances.
4. Determination of the Percent by Mass of the Components in a Mixture by Thermal Gravimetric Analysis.
5. Self Directed—Thermal Insulating Materials.
6. Reaction Stoichiometry.
7. Types of Chemical Reactions.
8. Identifying Metal Ions and Inorganic Compounds by their Chemical Interactions.
9. Gravimetric Analysis of a Chloride, Sulfate, or Carbonate Compound.
10. Emission Analysis of Aqueous Solutions of Group IA and IIA Metal Salts.
11. Determination of Chromium (VI) Concentrations via Absorption Spectroscopy.
12. Determination of the Concentration of Acetic Acid in Vinegar.
13. Solubility, Polarity, Electrolytes, and Nonelectrolytes.
14. Self-Directed—Determination of the Cause of a Fish-Kill in the Clark Fork of the Columbia River.
15. Self-Directed—Quality Control for the Athenium Baking Soda Company.
16. Gas Laws.
17. Colligative Properties.
18. Soaps and Detergents.
19. Heats of Chemical and Physical Processes.
20. Hess's Law.
21. Determination of the Heat of Neutralization of a Variety of Strong Acids and Bases.
22. Dystan Medical Supply Company—Cold Packs and Hot Packs.
23. Kinetics—Reaction Orders.
24. Chemical Equilibria.
25. Determining the Equilibrium Constant for a Reaction.
26. Determining Ka of an Acid by Titration and from pH.
27. pH and Buffer Solutions.
28. Self-Directed—Identifying an Unknown Weak Acid.
29. Quality Control for GlassEx Window Cleaner.
30. Determining the Iron Content in Cereal.
31. Analyzing the Chemical Content of Chromite.
32. Determining the Time Interval Between Doses of a Cardiac Drug.
33. What is in This Container?