Music of the Twentieth Century: Style and Structure, 2nd Edition
- Bryan R. Simms University of Southern California
- ISBN-10: 0028723929 | ISBN-13: 9780028723921
- 435 Pages
- © 1996 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $142.50
MUSIC OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY provides an effective introduction to modern music using clear, comprehensive language. The author weaves together history, theory, and analysis to bring to life both the stylistic evolution of music since 1900 and the new principles by which this music is organized.
PART ONE: STRUCTURAL PRINCIPLES AND COMPOSITIONAL MATERIALS OF TWENTIETH-CENTURY MUSIC.
1. Tonality in Transition.
2. Harmonic and Motivic Associations and the "Emancipation of Dissonance".
3. Triadic Harmony, Diatonic Collections, and Tonality.
5. Rhythm and Meter.
6. Orchestration, Tone Color, and Texture.
PART TWO: MUSIC FROM 1900 TO 1945.
7. Avant-Garde Composition in Germany and Austria.
8. Avant-Garde Composition in France and Russia.
9. Musical Nationalism.
10. Neoclassicism in France, Germany, and England.
11. Neoclassicism and Populism in American Music.
12. Experimental Music in America.
PART 3: MUSIC FROM 1945 TO THE PRESENT.
13. The Revival of the Avant-Garde.
15. Electronic Music.
17. Recent Music in Europe and America.