Legal Aspects of Police Supervision, 2nd Edition
- Isaac T. Avery, III undefined
- ISBN-10: 192891618X | ISBN-13: 9781928916185
- 168 Pages
- © 2001 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $71.00
This text begins with an overview of the Constitution, followed by discussions of limitations on policymaking and employment decisions, and examination of Internal Affairs procedures. It thoroughly explores the issues of freedom of speech, freedom of religion, drug testing, and fair labor standards. Employment law, sexual harassment, and the Americans with Disabilities Act are discussed as well as civil and criminal liability for officers and agencies. Readers are exposed to the myriad of legal issues that modern agencies and officers face in a day-to-day policing. After reading this text, they will also understand the basis from which these legal issues matured and be able to apply that knowledge to the real-life supervision function.
1. Constitutional Law for Public Managers.
2. Constitutional Limitations on Codes of Conduct.
3. Employment at Will.
4. Discrimination in Employment (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act).
5. Sexual Harassment.
6. Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. § 12101-12213).
7. The Injured Employee: Three Bites of the Apple.
8. Fair Labor Standards Act.
9. Internal Affairs Procedures.
10. The Ten (or So) Worst Mistakes an IA Investigator Can Make -or- How to Be Sued and Lose without Really Trying.
11. Freedom of Speech: Congress Shall Make No Law�.
Abridging the Freedom of Speech�.
12. Religious Freedom in the Workplace.
13. Drug Testing in t e Workforce: Legal Ramifications.
14. Litigation under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
15. Failure to Protect.
16. Federal Criminal Violations.
17. What has O.J. Done for Us? (Use of Internal Affairs Files in Criminal Proceedings).