Techniques of the Contemporary Composer, 1st Edition
- Jerry Lee Ford, Jr University of California, Santa Cruz
- ISBN-10: 0028647378 | ISBN-13: 9780028647371
- 250 Pages
- © 1997 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $119.75
This text is a practical guide to the compositional techniques, resources, and technologies available to composers today. Each chapter traces the development of traditional and modern elements that form the foundation of music in the late twentieth century. Among the subjects discussed are interval exploration, serialism, pitch-class sets, twelve-tone music, electronic music, algorithmic composition, and indeterminacy.
2. The Tonal Legacy.
3. New Roles of Melody.
4. Harmony, Counterpoint, and Hierarchy.
5. Interval Exploration.
7. Pitch-Class Sets.
8. Rhythm and Meter.
9. Texture and Modulations.
11. Percussion and the Prepared Piano.
12. New Techniques and Instruments.
13. New Notations.
15. Musique Concrete.
16. Electronic Music.
17. Algorithmic Composition.
18. Media Forms.
20. Experimental Music.