Alexander and Alexander’s best-selling AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOL LAW sets the standard for texts in educational law, an increasingly vital area of expertise for today’s school and district administrators. Now in its Eighth Edition, this combined textbook/casebook provides an authoritative and comprehensive view of the law that governs the public school system of the United States, including common law, statutes, and constitutional laws as they affect students, teachers, and administrators. Featuring civil and criminal cases selected from hundreds of jurisdictions and newly updated to reflect the latest legal trends and precedents, the text provides a thorough review of key laws and relevant court decisions. The case method offers ample opportunity for class discussion aimed at discovering and exposing underlying rules and reasoning. The text actively encourages readers to relate factual situations to the law while anticipating similar experiences they may have as practicing teachers and administrators. Written in an engaging and accessible style, AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOL LAW, Eighth Edition, explains even complex points of law clearly and effectively for non-lawyers, and the authors maintain a diligent focus on the unique needs of professional educators preparing for successful careers in administration.
Table of Contents
1. The Legal System.
2. Historical and Legal Perspective of Public Schools.
3. Role of the Federal Government.
4. Governance of Public Schools.
5. Church and State.
6. School Attendance.
7. The Instructional Program.
8. Student Rights: Speech, Expression, and Privacy.
9. Student Rights: Common Law, Constitutional Due Process, and Statutory Protections.
10. Rights of Students with Disabilities.
11. Tort Liability.
12. Defamation and Student Records.
13. School District Liability.
14. Certification, Contracts, and Tenure.
15. Teacher Rights and Freedoms.
16. Due Process Rights of Teachers.
17. Discrimination in Employment.
18. Collective Bargaining.
19. Desegregation of Public Schools.
20. School Finance.
21. School Property and Buildings.