A GUIDE TO CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS FOR THE SERVICE DESK PROFESSIONAL, the definitive service desk text now available in a fully revised fourth edition, teaches technical professionals the skills and work habits needed to successfully interact with customers and achieve job satisfaction. Each chapter describes a specific business skill, soft skill, or self-management skill required to deliver effective technical customer support while providing proven, how-to techniques for mastering that skill. Research and references have been updated in each chapter, and the latest ITIL® vocabulary and concepts are reflected throughout the text.
The Fourth Edition of A GUIDE TO CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS FOR THE SERVICE DESK PROFESSIONAL thoroughly examines the changing role of the service desk professional. An experienced IT professional with a unique industry perspective, author Donna Knapp describes the business and technology trends that are shaping the direction of the service desk industry and the opportunities available to those pursuing a service desk career. New case studies and case projects provide on-the-job practice, while updated chapters highlight the key transition from reactive to a more strategic, proactive service desk. The text explores how technology trends like cloud computing, virtualization, mobile technology, and bring-your-own-device are impacting the service desk, and new material examines the use of social media and collaboration technologies in a service desk setting.
Table of Contents
1. Achieving High Customer Satisfaction.
2. Developing Strong Listening and Communication Skills.
3. Winning Telephone Skills.
4. Technical Writing Skills for Support Professionals.
5. Handling Difficult Customer Situations.
6. Solving and Preventing Incidents and Problems.
7. Business Skills for Technical Professionals.
8. Teams and Team Players in a Service Desk Setting.
9. Minimizing Stress and Avoiding Burnout.
Capstone Project: Service Desk Site Visit.
Appendix A: Service Desk Resources.