The fourth edition of THE UNITED NATIONS heralds an organization at the crossroads of history. This best-selling text is a comprehensive volume of all that is relevant of the United Nations system from its inception to these opening years of the millennium, analyzing the history, processes, structure and functions of the organization. While the thread of terror weaves its way through the text, every effort has been made to discuss the world organization's continuing role in assisting nations and peoples in distress from underdevelopment, from population overload, from pandemic disease, and political instability.
Table of Contents
1. The United Nations in Historical Perspective.
Prologue. In the Beginning. The State System and International Organization. The Emergence of International Institutions. The League Experiment. Organizing the United Nations.
2. Legal Framework, Institutional Structures, and Financial Realities.
The Constitutional Structure. Instruments of Political Decision Making. Financing the United Nations.
3. The UN Political Process.
Participants in the UN Decision Process. UN Decision Making. The Consequences of UN Action.
4. Politics and the UN Secretariat.
The International Civil Service. The UN Secretariat. The UN Secretariat in the Political Process. Revitalizing the United Nations.
5. Security Through Collective Action.
Balance of Power and Collective Security. The United Nations and Collective Security. The Peacekeeping Alternative.
6. The Settlement of International Disputes.
Procedures for Settling International Disputes. UN Practice. Case Studies in UN Conflict Resolution. Settling International Disputes and Humanitarian Law. Global Security and the United Nations. Conclusions on Dispute Settlement.
7. Disarmament and Arms Control.
Disarmament in Historical Perspective. The UN and Arms Negotiations in the Nuclear Era. Disarmament and Arms Control--A Balance Sheet. Obstacles to Disarmament. Approaches to the Disarmament Problem. Conclusion.
8. The Revolution of Self-Determination.
Mandates Under the League. The Effect of World War II. UN Trusteeship. The United Nations and Total Decolonization. The UN Role: An Appraisal. Self-Determination in the Twenty-first Century.
9. Social and Technical Cooperation. Functional Cooperation in Theory and Practice. Human Rights Rule-Making. Rules in Other Functional Settings.Information and Promotion. Internationally Administered Programs. Conclusion.
10. Promoting Economic Development.
Problems of Development. A Blueprint for Economic Development. Promoting International Action. UN Programs. The Role of the International Monetary Fund. UN Development Financing Programs: The World Bank Group. Conclusion on Economic Development.
11. The United Nations in the Twenty-First Century.
Rethinking the United Nations in the Age of Terrorism. The United Nations and the Definition of Terrorism. Terrorism in the Twenty-First Century. The Realities of the Global Condition. Toward World Order.
Appendix: The Charter of the United Nations.