Amish Children: Education in the Family, School, and Community, 2nd Edition
- John A. Hoestetler
- Gertrude E. Huntington
- ISBN-10: 0030315921 | ISBN-13: 9780030315923
- © 1992 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $54.00 List Price = $ 71.95
This case study describes a way of life where families are still stable, people live with a high sense of communal obligation, men and women work with their hands, one hears the clop of horse’s hooves rather than the whine of tires, and the school and community are joined. The Old Order Amish schools are taught by teachers who have no more than an eighth grade education, and yet they are doing a good job of teaching the “basics” since Amish children meet the state standards in academic performance.
1. World View.
2. Colony Life Patterns.
3. Technology and Economic Patterns.
4. Socialization and Family Patterns.
5. The Challenge of Change and Disruption.
6. The Genius of the Culture.
Appendix A: Fieldwork in a Communal Society.
Appendix B: Table Rules.
Credits and Acknowledgements.