This book presents basic introductory material on developing and managing curriculum for early childhood education. Designed as a resource for beginning students and as a reference manual for experienced teachers, the text presents focused, sequential coverage on curriculum for young children--excluding potentially confusing details about related topics that are covered in longer books. Discussions cover such important topics as similarities in existing approaches to early childhood education, how to meet children's needs through curriculum, and planning and organizing curriculum. The Second Edition features enhanced standards coverage, increased material on diversity and multiculturalism, video integration, new information on how child development affects curriculum, and more. CURRICULUM FOR YOUNG CHILDREN also helps students and teachers assess the wealth of activity ideas available from other textbooks, resource manuals, and websites.
Table of Contents
1. Curriculum for Young Children: As Valuable and as Much Fun as You Can Make It!
2. Considering Children's Needs: Facilitating Early Childhood Skill Development.
3. Early Curriculum Basics: Creativity, Play, and the Environment.
4. Environments for Young Children: Places for Curriculum.
5. Designing a Managed Curriculum: Beginning with Review and a Plan.
6. Activities for Young Children: Managing Good Ideas.
7. Physical Development: Health, Safety, and Nutrition; Movement; and Music and Rhythm Activities.
8. Affective and Aesthetic Development Activities for Young Children.
9. Cognitive and Language Development Activities for Young Children.
10. Professional Growth: Success with Curriculum Management.
Appendix A. Curriculum Activity Guides.
Appendix B. Reproducible Sample Forms.