Wisdom Seekers: Great Philosophers of the Western World, Volume II, 1st Edition
- James L. Christian Emeritus, Santa Ana College
- ISBN-10: 0155062174 | ISBN-13: 9780155062177
- © 2002 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $102.75
Oriented toward historical philosophy or introductory philosophy courses, this text seeks to acquaint students with the history of western critical thinking in an accessible and appealing format. The WISDOM SEEKERS gathers together a multitude of insights into man's eternal attempts to make sense of the human story. Coverage ranges from the beginnings of philosophical thought, the pre-Socratic philosophers, the Golden Age of Athens, the eclipse of philosophy throughout the Dark Ages, its resurrection during the Renaissance, the emergence of empirical philosophy during the last four centuries, and the career of philosophy during the twentieth century and its eclipse by the sciences.
PART I: MODERN PHILOSOPHY BEGINS: REBUILDING FOUNDATIONS.
1. The New Scientists: Bacon, Galileo, Newton.
2. The Continental Rationalists: Descartes, Spinoza, Leibniz, and Pascal.
3. The Introspective Empiricists: Locke, Berkeley, and Hume.
4. Immanuel Kant: The Copernican Revolution of the Mind.
PART II: NINETEENTH-CENTURY PHILOSOPHY: A PHILOSOPHY FOR EVERY SEASON.
5. G. W. F. Hegel of Berlin.
6. Soren Kierkegaard of Copenhagen.
7. Charles Darwin of Kent.
8. Karl Marx of London.
9. Friedrich Nietzsche of Saxony.
10. One American Naturalist: Henry David Thoreau of Concord and Walden Pond.
PART III: TWENTIETH-CENTURY PHILOSOPHY: IN SEARCH OF VOCATION.
11. An Overview of Twentieth-Century Philosophy.
12. The American Pragmatists.
13.The British Analysts.
14. Albert Schweitzer of Lambarene.
15. Henri Bergson of Paris.
16. The French Existentialists.
PART IV: PHILOSOPHY IN THE AGE OF SCIENCE: SECURING EMPIRICAL FOUNDATIONS.
17. Overture to the Empirical Century.
18. The Twentieth-Century Physicists: Albert Einstein of Zurich and The Quantum Physicists.
19. The Depth Psychologists.
20. Arnold Toynbee and Synoptic Vision.
21. Joseph Campbell and the Mythic Journey.