An excellent resource for anyone in or entering the field, market-leading DOSAGE CALCULATIONS: A RATIO-PROPORTION APPROACH, fourth edition, teaches students how to reduce errors while building their confidence in dosage calculation. Extremely reader friendly, the text includes a comprehensive math review, full-color drug labels, and numerous critical thinking assessments. It carefully examines both basic and advanced calculations, including intravenous medications and those specific to the pediatric patient. Reducing the math anxiety that many readers have, the text's unique three-step method of calculating dosages-Convert, Think, Calculate-trains students to approach calculations logically and with a decreased risk of medication errors. The fourth edition reflects the most current drugs and protocol, regulations on medication abbreviations, medication administration technologies, and safe medication practices. Clinical simulations and Clinical Reasoning Skills scenarios based on QSEN principles help students develop clinical reasoning skills. Section Examinations include test items formatted like graduate licensure examinations. Offering plenty of hands-on application, the student study software includes tutorials, practice questions, self-tests, interactive label and syringe activities, and much more.
Table of Contents
SECTION 1: PRETEST AND MATHEMATICS REVIEW.
1. Fraction and Decimals.
2. Ratios, Percents, Simple Equations, and Ratio-Proportion.
SECTION 2: MEASUREMENT, SYSTEMS, DRUG ORDERS, AND DRUG LABELS.
3. Systems of Measurement.
4. Conversions: Metric and Household systems.
5. Conversions for Other Clinical Applications: Time and Temperature.
6. Equipment Used in Dosage Measurement.
7. Interpreting Drug Orders.
8. Understanding Drug Labels.
9. Preventing Medication Errors.
SECTION 3: DRUG DOSAGE CALCULATIONS.
10. Oral Dosage of Drugs.
11. Parenteral Dosage of Drugs.
12. Reconstitution of Solutions.
13. Pediatric and Adult Dosages Based on Body Weight.
14. Alternative Dosage Calculation Methods: Formula and Dimensional Analysis.
SECTION 4: ADVANCED CALCULATIONS.
15. Intravenous Solutions, Equipment, and Calculations.
16. Body Surface Area and Advanced Pediatric Calculations.
17. Advanced Adult Intravenous Calculations.
Essential Skills Evaluation.
Comprehensive Skills Evaluation.