Reading the New Testament Today, 1st Edition
- Robert E. Van Voorst Western Theological Seminary, Holland, Michigan
- ISBN-10: 0534541801 | ISBN-13: 9780534541804
- 624 Pages
- © 2005 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $120.00
READING THE NEW TESTAMENT TODAY introduces the student to the contemporary study of the New Testament, with special attention to today's leading critical methods: historical, feminist, social scientific, narrative, and cross-cultural. These methods are used in each of the thirteen chapters that deal directly with the New Testament literature to guide the student through readings of the New Testament. Examples of each method, as practiced by leading interpreters, are given in every chapter for students to interact with as they build their understandings and skills. These methods are organized to allow professors to select which ones they wish to utilize with their classes. An accompanying Web site offers interactive pedagogy to develop student learning, and offers dozens of links to New Testament study sites to enrich student learning.
Part I: INTRODUCING THE NEW TESTAMENT TODAY.
1. Introducing the New Testament.
2. Ways of Reading the New Testament Today.
3. The Jewish Matrix of the New Testament.
4. The Greco-Roman Matrix of the New Testament.
Part II: GOSPEL PORTRAITS OF JESUS.
5. Introduction to the Gospels.
6. The Gospel of Mark: Following Jesus, the Suffering Messiah.
7. The Gospel of Matthew: Following Jesus, the Lord of a Diverse Church.
8. The Gospel of Luke: Following Jesus, the Savior of the World.
9. The Gospel of John: Following Jesus, the Eternal Son of God.
Part III: AN EARLY CHRISTIAN HISTORY.
10. The Acts of the Apostles: The Church from Jerusalem to Rome.
Part IV: PAUL AND THE PAULINE TRADITION.
11. Introduction to Paul and the Pauline Tradition.
12. 1 Thessalonians, 1 and 2 Corinthians: Letters to Greek Churches.
13. Galatians and Romans: Life in Faith.
14. Philippians and Philemon: Letters from Prison.
15. 2 Thessalonians, Colossians, Ephesians: The Pauline Tradition.
16. 1-2 Timothy and Titus: Pastoral Letters to Guide the Pauline Churches.
Part V: CATHOLIC/GENERAL LETTERS AND REVELATION.
17. Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, Jude, 2 Peter: The Catholic/General Letters.
18. 1-3 John: the Johannine Community in Conflict.
19. Revelation: the Flowering of Christian Apocalyptic.
Part VI: AFTER THE NEW TESTAMENT.
20. Christian Origins after the New Testament.