African-American Music, 1st Edition
- Earl L. Stewart University of California, Santa Barbara
- ISBN-10: 0028602943 | ISBN-13: 9780028602943
- 400 Pages
- © 1998 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $86.50
African-American Music provides an introduction to all the richness and diversity of African-American musical styles, focusing on the distinct characteristics and development of each genre and its inherent styles including: spirituals, blues, gospel, ragtime, jazz, pop, and classical music.
PART 1: FOLK TRADITIONS.
1. General Characteristics of African American Music.
2. Work Songs, Minstrels, and , Spirituals.
3. The Blues.
4. Gospel Music.
PART 2: THE JAZZ AESTHETIC.
5. The Emergence of Ragtime.
6. Classic Jazz.
7. The Emergence of Swing.
9. Jazz: 1950 to 1970.
10. Jazz: 1970 to the Present.
PART 3: POPULAR STYLES SINCE 1940.
11. Rhythm and Blues: 1940 to 1960.
12. Soul Music: 1960 to 1980.
13. Rap and Beyond: 1980 to the Present.
PART 4: THEATRICAL AND CLASSICAL TRADITIONS.
14. Theatrical and Early Classical Music.
15. Classical Music: 1850 to the Present.
Index of Titles.