The original articles presented in this anthology reflect a world changed by globalization, and an anthropology committed to documenting the effects of the vast cultural flows of people, information, goods, and technology, now in motion the world over. Spindler and Stockard write an introduction to the topic of cultural change, and each of the fifteen anthropologists in the anthology take students on a return visit to their original field sites, asking questions for a new era and writing of peoples to some extent familiar, but at the same time changed, transformed by global forces.
Table of Contents
Part 1: CHALLENGES TO IDENTITY & POWER.
1. Frances Berdan "Continuity and Change in Aztec Culture: From Imperial Lords to Royal Subjects."
2. Bill & Jean Crocker "Change in the Lives of a Brazilian Indigenous People: To pluck eyelashes (or not?) among the Canela."
3. Dru Gladney "Cultural Identity in China: The Rising Politics of Ethnic Difference."
4. Lincoln Keiser "The Vice Lord Phoenix: Socio-Cultural Change in an African-American Street Gang."
Part 2: CHANGE IN GENDER HIERARCHIES.
5. Gilbert Herdt and Birgitta Stolpe "Sambia Gender, Sexuality, and Social Change."
6. Evelyn Blackwood "Mothers to Daughters: Social Change and Matrilineal Kinship in a Minangkabau Village."
7. Richard Lee"The Ju/'Hoansi of Southern Africa at the Crossroads: Continuity and Change in the Time of AIDS."
8. Cindy Hull "From Field to Factory and Beyond: New Strategies for New Realities in a Yucatecan Village."
Part 3: NEW PATTERNS OF MIGRATION & MOBILITY.
9. Naomi Bishop "The Yolmo People of Melemchi, Nepal: Change & Continuity."
10. Robert Tonkinson "The Mardu Aborigines: On the Road to Somewhere."
11. Bill Young "From Local "Tribe" to Transnational Arab Society: The "New" Rashaayda Bedouin of Sudan."
12. Leo Chavez "Culture Change and Cultural Reproduction: Lessons from Research on Transnational Migration."
Part 4: EFFECTS OF ECONOMIC CHANGE & MODERNIZATION.
13. PARMAN Sue "Scottish Crofters: Narratives of Change among Small Landholders in Scotland."
14. FRIEDL, Ernie, "A Village in Greece; Vasilika Then and Now."
15. SANO/FUJITA "Through Japanese Eyes: Culture Change in a Mid-Western Town."