CARING FOR SCHOOL-AGE CHILDREN, 6th Edition, presents the most pertinent information needed by those involved in after-school programs. Current research has established the importance of quality after-school programs due to their tremendous impact on children’s academic achievement, overall happiness, and self-esteem. To address this reality, the new edition presents the latest research and information on school-age child care, and offers numerous practical applications and activities that can be put to use immediately in a child care setting.
Table of Contents
Section I: THE PEOPLE IN CHILD CARE.
1. Caregivers: Who Are They?
2. The Children.
3. Families: Where Children Are Nurtured.
Section II: HOW CHILDREN GROW AND DEVELOP.
4. Development in Middle Childhood: Physical.
5. Development in Middle Childhood: Cognitive.
6. Development in Middle Childhood: Psychosocial and Moral.
7. Helping Children Develop Social Competence.
Section III: THE BACKGROUND.
8. Program Planning.
9. Creating an Environment.
Section IV: THE CURRICULUM.
10. Games and Other Fun Things to Do.
11. Imagination and the Arts.
12. Science and Math.
13. Helping Children Develop Literacy Competency.
14. Preparing Children for Adult Roles.
15. Getting Fit, Staying Fit.
Section V: RESOURCES AND REGULATIONS.
16. Using Community Resources.
17. Quality and Standards.