BEYOND SOVEREIGNTY: ISSUES FOR A GLOBAL AGENDA examines the pressing global issues that countries cannot solve alone. Author Maryann Cusimano Love helps readers put the subjects of today's headlines -- such as global poverty and debt, the environmental crisis, terrorism, disease, WMD proliferation, international crime, drug trafficking, and human trafficking -- into the larger context of globalization. Love addresses the challenges to globalization, the rise of non-state actors, the future of the state and global governance, and the difficulties of managing cross-border problems in a world of sovereign states. Throughout, the author argues that since global challenges go beyond borders, the solutions to these challenges are to be found beyond sovereignty.
Table of Contents
1. Global Problems, Global Solutions - Maryann Cusimano Love.
2. Intergovernmental Organizations: Global Governance and Transsovereign Problems- Maria Green Cowles.
3. Nongovernmental Organizations: Politics Beyond Sovereignty - Maryann Cusimano Love.
4. Multinational Corporations: Power and Responsibility - Richard A. Love and Maryann Cusimano Love.
5. Networked Terror - Martha Crenshaw and Maryann Cusimano Love.
6. Global Crime Inc. - Louise Shelley, John Picarelli, and Chris Corpora.
7. God and Global Governance - Maryann Cusimano Love.
8. People on the Move: Refugees, IDPs, and Migrants - Maryann Cusimano Love.
9. Defending Cyberspace - Richard A. Love.
10. Ecological Interdependence and the Spread of Infectious Disease - Dennis Pirages and Paul Runci.
11. Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation - Richard A. Love.
12. Globalization and the Environment - Teng Fu.
13. Mind the Gaps Global Problems Outpace Institutions- Maryann Cusimano Love.
14. Sovereignty: Who Cares? The Future, and Why Sovereignty Is Not Enough - Maryann Cusimano Love.