1. Suspension and Steering Systems Introduction, Frames and Unitized Bodies, Front Suspension Systems, Rear Suspension Systems, Tires, Wheels, and Hubs, Shock Absorbers and Struts, Computer-Controlled Suspension Systems and Shock Absorbers, Steering Systems, Wheel Alignment, Steering Axis Inclination, Summary, Review Questions.
2. Basis Theories Introduction, Newton''s Laws of Motion, Work and Force, Energy, Energy Conversion, Inertia, Momentum, Friction, Mass Weight and Volume, Torque, Power, Principles Involving Tires and Wheels in Motion, Principles Involving Liquids and Gases, Atmospheric Pressure, Vacuum, Venturi Principle, Summary, Review Questions.
3. Wheel Bearings Introduction, Bearing Loads, Ball Bearings, Roller Bearings, Seals, Wheel Bearings, Rear Axle Bearings, Bearing Lubrication, Summary, Review Questions.
4. Tires and Wheels Introduction, Tire Design, Tire Ply and Belt Design, Tire Tread Design, Tire Manufacturing Defects, Tire Ratings and Sidewall Information, Specialty Tires, Replacement Tires, Tire Valves Tire Chains, Compact Spare Tires, Run-Flat Tires, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, Tire Contact Area, Tire Placard and Inflation Pressure, Nitrogen Tire Inflation, Tire Motion Forces, Wheel Rims, Static Wheel Balance Theory, Dynamic Wheel Balance Theory, Noise, Vibration, and Harshness, Summary, Review Questions.
5. Shock Absorbers and Struts Introduction, Shock Absorber Design, Shock Absorber Operation, Gas-Filled Shock Absorbers and Struts, Heavy-Duty Shock Absorber Design, Shock Absorber Ratios, Strut Design, Front Suspension, Shock Absorber and Strut Design, Rear Suspension, Travel Sensitive Struts, Adjustable Struts, Load-Levelling Shock Absorbers, Electronically Controlled Shock Absorbers and Struts, Summary, Review Questions.
6. Front Suspension Systems Introduction, Suspension System Components, Short-and-Long Arm Front Suspension Systems, MacPherson Strut Front Suspension System Design, Modified MacPherson Strut Suspension, High Performance Front Suspension Systems, Torsion Bar Suspension, Curb Riding Height, Front Spring Sag Curb Riding Height and Caster Angle, Spring Sag Curb Riding Height and Camber Angle, Summary, Review Questions.
7. Rear Suspension Systems Introduction, Live Axle Rear Suspension Systems, Semi-Independent Rear Suspension Systems, Independent Rear Suspension Systems, Curb Riding Height, Spring Sag Curb Riding Height and Caster Angle, Summary, Review Questions.
8. Computer-Controlled Suspension Systems Introduction, Programmed Ride Control System, Electronic Air Suspension System Components, Electronic Air Suspension System Operation, Air Suspension System Design Variations, Vehicle Dynamic Suspension (VDS) System, Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) System, Integrated Electronic Systems and Networks, Vehicle Stability Control, Active Roll Control Systems, Active Cruise Control (ACC) Systems, Lane Departure Warning Systems, Collision Mitigation Systems, Telematics, Summary, Review Questions.
9. Steering Columns and Steering Linkages Introduction, Conventional Nontilt Steering Column, Tilt Steering Column, Electronic Tilt/telescoping Steering Column, Active Steering Column, Steering Linkage Mechanisms, Steering Damper, Summary, Review Questions.
10. Power Steering Pumps Introduction, Power Steering Pump Drive Belts, Types of Power-Assisted Steering Systems, Power Steering Pump Design, Power Steering Pump Operation, Hybrid Vehicles and Power Steering Systems, Various Types of HEVs, Fuel Cell Vehicles, Summary, Review Questions.
11. Recirculating Ball Steering Gears Introduction, Manual Recirculating Ball Steering Gears, Power Recirculating Ball Steering Gears, Summary, Review Questions.
12. Rack and Pinion Steering Gears Introduction, Manual Rack and Pinion Steering Gear Main Components, Steering Gear Ratio, Manual Rack and Pinion Steering Gear Mounting, Advantages and Disadvantages of Rack and Pinion Steering, Power Rack and Pinion Steering Gears, Types of Rack and Pinion Steering Gears, Electronic Variable Orifice Steering, Saginaw Electronic Variable Orifice Steering, Rack-Drive Electronic Power Steering, Electronic Power Steering System Operation, Column-Drive Electronic Power Steering, Column-Drive Electronic Power Steering Operation, Pinion-Drive Electronic Power Steering, Active Steering System, Steer-By-Wire Systems, Summary, Review Questions.
13. Four-Wheel Steering Systems Introduction, Electronically Controlled Four-Wheel Steering, Input Sensors, Four-Wheel Steering System Operation, Quadrasteer Four-Wheel Steering Systems, Quadrasteer Four-Wheel Steering System Operation, Rear Active Steering System, Four-Wheel Active Steering (4WAS), Summary, Review Questions.
14. Frames and Frame Damage Introduction, Types of Frames and Frame Construction, Unitized Body Design, Vehicle Directional Stability, Types of Frame Damage, Summary, Review Questions.
15. Four Wheel Alignment Part I Introduction, Wheel Alignment Theory, Importance of Four Wheel Alignment, Rear Wheel Alignment and Vehicle Tracking Problems, Types of Wheel Alignment, Computer Alignment Systems, Camber Fundamentals, Driving Conditions Affecting Camber, Caster Fundamentals, Safety Factors and Caster, Steering Terminology, Summary, Review Questions.
16. Four Wheel Alignment Part II Introduction, Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) Definition, SAI Purpose, SAI and Safety Factors, Scrub Radius, Wheel Setback, Toe Definition, Toe setting for Front-Wheel- Drive and Rear-Wheel-Drive Vehicles, Toe Adjustment and Tire Wear, Turning Radius, Rear Wheel Alignment, Summary, Review Questions.