A long time favorite, the fifth edition of BASIC CLINICAL LAB COMPETENCIES FOR RESPIRATORY CARE: AN INTEGRATED APPROACH continues to bring classroom theory to life at the bedside. Known for its integration of theoretical knowledge and practical skills, this text emphasizes the importance of assessment of need, contraindications, hazards/complications, monitoring, and outcomes assessment in respiratory care. Concise, direct, and easy to understand, this fifth edition has been updated to reflect recent advances in the field in order to ensure that students have the knowledge and skills needed to practice the art and the science of respiratory care.
Table of Contents
List of Performance Evaluations.
Introduction to the Text.
List of Contributors.
Section I: PATIENT ASSESSMENT.
1. Basics of Asepsis
2. Basic Patient Assessment: Vital Signs and Breath Sounds.
3. Advanced Patient Assessment: Inspection, Palpation, and Percussion.
4. Radiologic Assessment.
5. Pulmonary Function Testing.
8. Arterial Blood Gas Sampling.
9. Hemodynamic Monitoring.
10. Noninvasive Monitoring.
Section II: THERAPEUTICS.
11. Documentation and Goals Assessment.
12. Oxygen Supply Systems.
13. Oxygen Administration.
14. Introduction to Respiratory Care Pharmacology.
15. Humidity and Aerosol Therapy.
16. Bronchial Hygiene Therapy.
17. Hyperinflation Therapy.
18. Bronchoscopy Assisting.
19. Equipment Processing and Surveillance.
Section III: EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT.
20. Emergency Airway Management.
21. Artificial Airway Care.
22. Chest Tubes.
23. Insertion and Maintenance of Intravenous Lines.
Section IV: VENTILATION.
24. Noninvasive Positive-Pressure Ventilation.
25. Continuous Mechanical Ventilation.
26. Advanced Modes of Mechanical Ventilation.
27. Wave Form Analysis.
28. Weaning and Discontinuance of Mechanical Ventilation.
29. Neonatal Mechanical Ventilation.
Appendix. Answers to Self Evaluation Post Tests.