Focused, streamlined, and designed throughout to meet the needs of the one-term GOB Lab course, this manual features 14 easy-to-follow experiments (6 general chemistry, 4 organic chemistry, and 4 biochemistry) that illustrate the key concepts that every allied health student must know. Clear directions help students complete labs successfully, while pre- and post-lab questions for every experiment test their ability to apply concepts.
Table of Contents
Practice Safe Laboratory.
1. Laboratory Measurements.
2. Density Determination.
3. Classes of Chemical Reactions.
4. Physical Properties of Chemicals: Melting Point, Sublimation, and Boiling Point.
5. Factors Affecting Rate of Reactions.
6. The Law of Chemical Equilibrium and the Le Chatelier Principle.
7. pH and Buffer Solutions.
8. Structure in Organic Compounds: Use of Molecular Models.
9. Aspirin: Preparation and Properties (Acetylsalicylic Acid).
11. Fats and Oils: Preparation and Properties of Soap.
12. Separation of Amino Acids by Paper Chromotography.
13. Isolation and Identification of Casein.
Appendix 1: Use of the Laboratory Gas Burner.
Appendix 2: List of Apparatus and Equipment in Student's Locker.
Appendix 3: List of Common Equipment and Material in the Laboratory.
Appendix 4: Special Equipment and Chemical Preparations for Each Experiment.