Introduce your students to the latest advances in spectroscopy with the text that has set the standard in the field for more than three decades: INTRODUCTION TO SPECTROSCOPY, 5e, by Donald L. Pavia, Gary M. Lampman, George A. Kriz, and James R. Vyvyan. Whether you use the book as a primary text in an upper-level spectroscopy course or as a companion book with an organic chemistry text, your students will receive an unmatched, systematic introduction to spectra and basic theoretical concepts in spectroscopic methods. This acclaimed resource features up-to-date spectra; a modern presentation of one-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy; an introduction to biological molecules in mass spectrometry; and coverage of modern techniques alongside DEPT, COSY, and HECTOR.
Table of Contents
1. Molecular Formulas and What Can Be Learned from Them.
2. Infrared Spectroscopy.
3. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part One: Basic Concepts.
4. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part Two: Carbon-13 Spectra, Including Heteronuclear Coupling with Other Nuclei.
5. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part Three: Spin-Spin Coupling.
6. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part Four: Other Topics in One-Dimensional NMR.
7. Ultraviolet Spectroscopy.
8. Mass Spectrometry.
9. Combined Structure Problems.
10. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Part Five: Advanced NMR Techniques.
Answers to Selected Problems.
Appendix 1: Infrared Absorption Frequencies of Functional Groups.
Appendix 2: Some Representative Chemical Shift Values for Various Types of Protons.
Appendix 3: Typical Proton Coupling Constants.
Appendix 4: Calculation of Proton (1H) Chemical Shifts.
Appendix 5: Calculation of Carbon-13 Chemical Shifts.
Appendix 6: 13C Coupling Constants.
Appendix 7: Tables of Precise Masses and Isotopic Abundance Ratios for Molecular Ions Under Mass 100 Containing Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Oxygen.
Appendix 8: Common Fragment Ions Under Mass 105.
Appendix 9: Handy-Dandy Guide to Mass Spectral Fragmentation Patterns.
Appendix 10: Index of Spectra.