Delivering comprehensive coverage of current domestic and global trends, TRANSPORTATION: A SUPPLY CHAIN PERSPECTIVE, 8E equips your students with a solid understanding of what is arguably the most critical−and complex−component of global supply chains. Taking a managerial approach, the text helps readers understand the fundamental role and importance of transportation in companies and in society, as well as the complex environment in which transportation service is provided today. It begins by providing a framework and foundation for the role of transportation from a micro and macro perspective in supply chains and discusses both the theoretical and managerial dimensions of transportation in supply chains, including regulation and public policy. Focusing on the providers of transportation, it offers an overview of operating and service characteristics, cost structure, and current challenges and issues. In addition, the authors spotlight a variety of critical transportation management issues, providing insightful discussions of the strategic activities and challenges involved in the movement of goods through the supply chain. Completely up to date, the Eighth Edition also features new readings, cases, and examples. It emphasizes global topics throughout, includes new coverage of hard and soft technology, and offers expanded discussions of fuel, energy, managerial, economic, and environmental issues.
Table of Contents
1. Transportation and Global Supply Chains.
2. Transportation and the Economy.
3. Transportation Regulation and Public Policy.
4. Transportation Costing and Pricing.
Suggested Readings for Part I.
5. Motor Carriers.
8. Water Carriers and Pipelines.
Suggested Readings for Part II.
9. Global Transportation and Risk Management.
10. Global Transportation Planning.
11. Global Transportation Execution.
12. Global Transportation Strategic Sourcing.
Suggested Readings for Part III.
13. Fuel Management.
14. Issues and Challenges for Global Supply Chains.
Suggested Readings for Part IV.