Introduce today's learners to the skills most important for drawing, detailing, and designing residential structures with RESIDENTIAL DESIGN, DRAFTING, AND DETAILING, 2E. The text's step-by-step presentation, familiarizes readers with standard construction practices involving wood, engineered materials, steel, and concrete as well as the latest "green" concepts and alternative materials used in residential design.
To keep learning as current as possible, updates throughout this edition reflect the latest standards, codes and guidelines, including the 2012 International Residential Code® and International Energy Conservation Code. Students concentrate on CAD techniques using the guidelines from the United States National CAD - Standard®--V5. A new review of common math formulas used in construction, more on presentation drawings and additional coverage of heating/cooling, resisting wind and seismic loads further prepare readers for design success.
Professional examples from architects, engineers, and designers as well as activities and problems using actual architectural drawings and designs help place readers in the role of a professional CAD technician.
Table of Contents
Section I: INTRODUCTION TO ARCHITECTURAL DRAFTING.
1. Professional Architectural Careers, Office Practice, and Opportunities.
2. Preparing for Success.
3. Computer-Aided Design in Architecture.
4. Guidelines and Codes and That Affect Building Design.
5. Interior Design Considerations.
6. Exterior Design Factors and Styles.
7. Environmental Design Considerations.
Section II: SITE PLANS.
8. Land Descriptions and Drawings.
9. Site-Related Drawing Layout.
Section III: FLOOR PLANS AND SUPPLEMENTAL DRAWINGS.
10. Floor Plans--Symbols, Annotation, and Dimensions.
11. Completing a Floor Plan with CAD.
12. Electrical Plans.
13. Plumbing Systems.
14. Comfort Control Systems.
Section IV: ROOF PLANS.
15. Roof Plan Components.
16. Roof Plan Layout With CAD.
Section V: ELEVATIONS.
17. Introduction to Elevations.
18. Elevation Layout and CAD Drawing Techniques.
19. Representing Interior Finishing Materials and Cabinets With CAD.
Section VI: FRAMING METHODS AND PLANS.
20. Framing Methods.
21. Structural Components.
22. Design Criteria for Structural Loading.
23. Sizing Joists, Rafters, and Beams.
24. Drawing Framing Plans.
Section VII: FOUNDATION PLANS.
25. Foundation Systems.
26. Floor Systems and Foundation Support.
27. Foundation Plan Layout.
Section VIII: DETAILS AND SECTIONS.
28. Sectioning Basics.
29. Section Layout.
30. Stair Construction and Layout.
31. Fireplace Construction and Layout.
Section IX: SUPPLEMENTAL DRAWINGS.
32. Written Specifications.
33. Presentation Drawings.
34. Renovations, Remodeling, and Additions.